Hello World!

It was about time I did something about this page! So, hi there! My name is João Beraldo (you can call me Beraldo. I know that "wavy thing" over the 'a' get's people confused). I'm a game designer and novelist with some work published (though most of it in Portuguese... sorry!).

For three years now I have been working as a freelancer for studios all over the world, mostly creating content for games of all shapes and forms, though I quite at home working on game concept, mechanics and a nice and cozy balance spreadsheet. I've been a game designer for a little over a decade now, a bold move I finally managed to take after about as much time as a graphic designer and illustrator for websites and e-learning projects.

So, enough about me! What is this site about and why should you care?

Now that I'm on a solid situation as a freelancer (financially speaking), I have split my time between working for hire and developing my own project. Wooo, bold move #2! Yeah. I won't lie to you: I'm doing it slowly, starting out with tools that are not too complex, like Scirra Construct 2 and (eventually) Gamemaker. It's that thing: you can't be good at everything, so I cut 'programming' off of my Character Sheet.

What all that means is that I'll be posting updates on my ongoing projects here on this website, including comments on what I come across, previous ideas (and what went wrong with them) and eventually post mortems.

It won't be just about video games. I'll also bring up my experience (and experiments) with short story and novel writing and RPG systems. The more content the merries!

This blog has a counterpart in Portuguese (you can find it by clicking on the menu over to the top right, if you dare!), but the content is not the same. It was a tough decision, but, let's face it: if I'm going to work for hire, work on my own novels and video games, write on two blogs AND translate everything, I'll end up consumed by my own greed (or killed by my wife and daughter).

So, there! I'm working on setting a solid schedule for my posts, so that you know when you'll sure to find content available, though you can drop by and check out any time as I may have gone through some breakthrough (or just ranting, most probably).

Welcome to my little piece of the internetz!
 - João Beraldo

Comments